Friday 18 June 2010

Pottery, cream tea and a walk through the park



My candle holder! Yes, it is a tad uneven. But it was made in my first session and entirely freehand without planning or templates or anything. If I were to make another I would make a template to get it all even and perfect. 

I think the carved scroll-y bits worked out very well. I used waaay too much glaze which ran down and kind of puddled on the base.  But I think overall a good effect and I am using the scrolled carving idea on some other pieces. I love the way the glaze kind of "burns" on the edges.





















It's annoying that the people who run the studio offer very little help on the glazing and I fear I may end up ruining many other pieces due to glazing problems. I made a little "organic" (read *lumpy* there) vase and dipped it in a matt white glaze which I then splattered with pink. The glaze turned out to be far too thin (and the pink couldn't be seen at all) - yet I had done it under the direct instruction of the guy who runs the studio. The end result just looks like an extremely lumpy grey thing - the lumpiness accentuated by the too thin glaze.

I was unhappy about it and I don't have room at home for, err, such ugliness, so they said they'd put it up for sale in their gallery ..... I told them I'd pay for someone to take it away lol. I forgot to photo it before I left, but I'm sure it'll still be there next week (no-one will be mad enough to buy it) so I'll try to remember to get a photo then. I think it will be headed for the bin anyway.

Said vase was the second thing I made. The firing and glazing processes all take a looooong time. The item has to completely dry out before it can go in the kiln, which takes time to fire up of course and several days to cool down before they can open the door. Then the item is treated with glaze and fired a second time. They do alternate first firing and glaze firings as they have to be done at different temperatures, and only one firing a week on average.

Pottery ain't quick folks!

Waiting for a first firing at the moment I have two bowls - one of which has butterflies impressed on the interior, the other with scroll carving on the inside. I also have two square planters I'm working on and a shell sculpture which may turn out to be a vase - I haven't decided yet.

On my way to the studio I passed these lovely Oriental Poppies which are some of my favourites though they are so fleeting, so I paused to capture them.

















View from Debenhams cafe where I went with the Bear this week. You get a fair view of the Cathedral from here. You can see the hills in the distance that surround us.
















We had a cream tea (I'm a sinner!) which, for those who don't know, involves a pot of tea (or coffee) with scones and jam and clotted cream. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to take a photo. So here's a photo someone else took taken from this page (by a hotel about 5 miles from here) where you can read all about cream teas if you're a total masochist.
Bear loves clotted cream and always buys some when it's reduced. He rarely buys scones though so I don't know what he eats it on. I am not a big cream fan, so it's rare for me to eat it.

After that of course he wanted some fish and chips! As Bear wanted to avoid the traffic we walked there via a park. I haven't been in this park for a long time and was pleasantly surprised by some really beautiful planting. There were frilled Oriental Poppies, lupins, luscious roses ....
 
 


 
 
And finally, photos of the merry fish and chip shop where Bear is a regular customer - The Dolphin Fish Bar.







































Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Bearfriend xx

40 comments:

  1. I did pottery on a wheel two summers ago and loved it!!!! All my stuff came out lumpy but some has survived the dishwasher to this day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your candle holder looks very Indian:) I did some pottery at college years ago but i was rubbish..lol.

    Your photo's are wonderful, have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clotted cream, fish and chips and flowers, your talking my language now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your candle holder....perfection is overrated , i like the quirky :). The flowers are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your candle holder is lovely! I've never done pottery but have wanted to. There is something very appealing about it. Your description of the lengthy process makes it seem that it's a good lesson in practicing patience!

    Gorgeous scenery and greenery! Poppies are my favorite, and Lupine a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your candle holder Bearfriend. Turned out really well. And the cream tea looks divine...especially that clotted cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bear friend, you did an outstanding job on your candle holder. I especially like the scroll thingie. Nice touch. I did pottery a few times and you need patience... firing, painting, etc. So glad you enjoy the class.

    Second, the view with the surrounding greenery is amazing. You're so lucky to live around such lovliness. Don't even get me started on the pictures of the nice flowers... oh and clotted cream does not sound delish but the scones certainly do... you bear certainly know how to spend an afternoon.

    Have a great weekend. Send me lots of energy bear friend. I will have a house full of guests this weekend and that means too many temptations...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the candle holder, it looks genuinely hand made (which is a good thing) and unique! The scrolls look really good and I agree that the glaze 'burning' is a good effect! Have you thought about getting a book on glazing techniques to supplement their (lack of) knowledge? I just had a peep on amazon and a few came up, some of them on Marketplace were very cheap too!
    More beautiful flowers, I didn't know those were called Oriental poppies but what a gorgeous colour!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a wonderful eye. My old art master always said, "Learning to draw is learning to see." and you see well.

    That pottery is a wonderful example of the journey into a more fit and healthy us. There is learning, and mistakes, patience is required.

    As far as not being strait. Did you ever notice anything God created in the world absoulutley strait? Trees lean, even the ocean is rounded. Light beams bend into black holes. Our journey is not to be a line, but a wondering path of learning.

    At the Foolsfitness Gym we have mazes to get to the locker rooms.- Alan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo on your pottery efforts. The candle holder is lovely. Actually, in a perfect world, I would just leave my job and study pottery. Since this is an imperfect world, I should just sign up for a class. There's a pottery studio about 3 minutes walk from my home.

    Thanks for the beautiful photos, too. What a lovely city you live in!

    I also wanted to thank you for your kind messages on my blog. Really, they are much appreciated. And thanks for the award too. I'll be answering the questions soon.

    NewMe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your candle holder. I think it's very nicely done. Too bad that you aren't getting more help on the glazing technique. That must be very frustrating when you want to do it right and you aren't sure.

    Cream tea sounds delicious. I had it in Victoria on Vancouver Island. We had it every afternoon as soon as it was time for it. We couldn't wait. It was wonderful.

    The photographs of the flowers are great and I especially like the poppies. We have red poppies growing all over the place right now and I like them very much. They are so cheerful. You always do a good job with your photographs.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is wonderful, BearFriend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the candle holder, I can't believe that you did it free style, with no template. It really is beautiful and I could not see any flaws in it at all. I bet it is so beautiful at night. I can't believe they don't spend more time teaching you the glazing technique, as that can be the trickiest part. I would really speak up about that, as you are paying money to take the course and you want to learn it correctly. I am so glad you are doing pottery. I use to do it years ago and loved it, found it very relaxing.

    I have never had cream tea, but it sound so good. I love scones and could have sat there all afternoon with you!!

    I really enjoyed your photos. I love poppies so much and the rest of the photos were wonderful. What a beautiful place to stroll about and what great photos you take. Thank you for sharing them too, they always make my world a bit brighter.

    I hope everything else is going well. Thanks for your comments on my blog. They do mean a lot.
    XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your candleholder is very nice! That is something I have tried, but since I lack something to fire the things I have made, they languish in my craft room. (The person who 'taught' me was evicted and left, and I barely got my items back! Eeep!)

    Clotted cream. One of my friends tried to explain the delights of that, but as someone who drinks her tea straight, about the consistancy of paint stripper, I haven't quite decided whether I want to sully my brew. ;)

    Wow. I love your flower pictures. Actually, I like all your pictures. Fish shop. Bear wants tea and fish? I can live with that... Heh.

    Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cream teas! Ahhhhh! (Homer Simpson moment) That brings back memories. We have what are called cream teas here, but they are a pale imitation of the real thing. You can't get clotted cream here, and whipped cream isn't the same.

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Candle holder looks beautiful. Lovely pictures as always...:)
    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is lovely look dear beautiful indeed,i want that white flower too ,thanks for amazing post ,have a blessed life and keep smiling

    ReplyDelete
  18. pottery sounds soooo fun! I LOVE those poppies!!!! sooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful flower pics :-) neat pottery. my daughter made us scones last night with huckleberries in them - yum!! i think i would like the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad I found you at another blog:) The candle holder looks great!! Sorry, it's too long ago that I did pottery in school, but I do remember that the teacher always gave some very specific instructions with the glazes we put on!
    I'm a painter -don't worry, we all have a few misfits LOL

    I like how your day went -I love scones, and I love flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's time you let us know how you are, Bearfriend. Too long between posts! I hope you are not feeling down. XXXX Judith

    ReplyDelete
  22. i hope and pray that you are doing fine in your beautiful life missing you dear

    take great care

    ReplyDelete
  23. missing you so much please take care and keep smiling hope will hear from you soon god bless

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poke Poke - Are you alright my friend? I worry about you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HEY!!!! do not deny us your wonderful commentary and fabulous pictures!! I'm pouting! Hugs
    Tamzin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where are you friend? No response to my emails. Please pop in and let us know you are well.

    Missing you
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  27. Has anyone heard from our dear friend of bear? I'm worried. Just want to know you're well.

    paula

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just wanted to check in on you and say hi. I hope things are going well and you're just enjoying life away from blogworld. Sending happy thoughts your way. I hope you check in with us soon. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello dear hope and pray that all is well and you are in great blessings of dear god missing you ,
    merry christmas .
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Bearfriend, if you're there I just wanted to wish you a Happy Christmas, and I hope you'll be back online again soon - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello dear. I hope you're doing fine. Been forever since I've heard from you. :) Godbless :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my, it`s been over a year since we've heard from you. Hope you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi sweetness just stopped by to see how you are?? Hope your keeping well and cheery :) Brightest blessing sweet one x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  34. hey dear friend,glad to see you back,and really happy to read you missed you sooooo much,hope and pray that god may bless u always,stay healthy n stay in touch dear,take care

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello friend of the bear , why don't you update your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  36. visit me at my blog, NotEscaping. notescaping.wordpress.com

    Kara H

    ReplyDelete
  37. Still think about your well being my friend ,please take great care you are precious,love and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Still think about your well being my friend ,please take great care you are precious,love and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments gratefully appreciated!